The Railroad Retirement Board has announced the locations and dates of their informational conferences for Spring 2016. All conference registrations begin at 8:00 a.m., with the programs beginning at 8:30 a.m. and ending at 12:15 p.m. These informational conferences are beneficial to newly elected officers, retirees, those planning to retire and spouses. Click here to […]
Members planning to attend one or both of the SMART Transportation Division regional meetings this summer can now make reservations for either city. Click here to register online for the San Francisco regional meeting. Click here to register online for the Chicago regional meeting. Click here for the mail-in registration form. Regional meeting registration is available online now by going to […]
The December 2015/January 2016 issue of the SMART TD News is attached here. If you are a SMART TD member, a hard copy is being mailed to your home via U.S. Mail and should arrive soon.
The latest issue of the SMART Transportation Division News is an online-only edition. To view, click here. To view earlier editions of SMART TD News, click here.
Former SMART TD (UTU Local 1348) Washington State Legislative Director Thomas R. Retterath died Monday, November 2, 2015 at the Hospice Care Center following a battle with cancer. Retterath was drafted and served in the U.S. Army from 1964 to 1966. In 1971 he began his railroad career with Burlington Northern Railroad where he worked […]
Every three years, the Railroad Retirement Board’s Chief Actuary conducts a study of the longevity of its annuitants, as part of a valuation of future revenues and benefit payments. The following questions and answers summarize the results of the most recent longevity study. 1. What were the study’s findings on the life expectancy of retired […]
The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) has released the 2016 Part B premium and deductible costs for 2016. Railroad Medicare processes claims for Part B services. The 2016 monthly premiums will remain unchanged for approximately 70 percent of Medicare beneficiaries. However, the remaining 30 percent will pay a different amount based on the […]
The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services has announced that the standard monthly Part B premium will be $121.80 in 2016. However, most Medicare beneficiaries will not see an increase in their monthly Part B premiums because of a “hold harmless” provision in the law. Under that provision, Part B premiums cannot increase for current […]
John J. Naughton, former associate designated legal counsel of the Brotherhood of Railroad Trainmen and United Transportation Union, died Oct. 29, 2015. Naughton fought for the rights of railroad and other transportation workers as an employee of the former firm of Henslee, Monek & Henslee. As a part of the firm, Naughton argued before the […]
World War I – known at the time as “The Great War” – officially ended when the Treaty of Versailles was signed on June 28, 1919, in the Palace of Versailles outside the town of Versailles, France. However, fighting ceased seven months earlier when an armistice, or temporary cessation of hostilities, between the Allied nations […]